Promotion Examination Open To All Qualified Employees of the New York State Workers' Compensation Board
Workers' Compensation Program Manager 3
- Written Test To Be Held
- November 14, 2009
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- October 05, 2009
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Fee|
|36-190||Workers' Compensation Program Manager 3||Workers Compensation Board||$82,363||M-3||$25|
On or before November 14, 2009, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Workers' Compensation Board and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
Either A. as an Associate Accountant, SG-23; Associate Budgeting Analyst, SG-23; Associate Internal Auditor, SG-23; Associate Workers' Compensation Examiner, SG-23; Chief Budgeting Analyst, M-2; Chief Workers' Compensation Investigation, SG-25; Compensation Investigator 3, SG-23; Finance Officer, SG-23; Managed Care Program Representative 3, SG 23; Principal Accountant, SG-27; Principal Internal Auditor, M-2; Principal Workers' Compensation Examiner, SG-25; Program Research Specialist 3 (Human Services), SG 23; Supervising Accountant, SG-25; Supervising Budgeting Analyst, M-1; or Workers' Compensation Program Manager 2, SG-27;
Or B. any position allocated to SG-23 or higher.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before December 14, 2008, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
Successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list with permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
Either A. after one year as a Chief Budgeting Analyst, M-2; Principal Accountant, SG-27; Principal Internal Auditor, M-2; Workers' Compensation Program Manager 2, SG-27; OR
after two years as a Chief Workers' Compensation Investigation, SG-25; Principal Workers' Compensation Examiner, SG-25; Supervising Accountant, SG-25; Supervising Budgeting Analyst, M-1; OR
after three years as an Associate Accountant, SG-23; Associate Budgeting Analyst, SG-23; Associate Internal Auditor, SG-23; Associate Workers' Compensation Examiner, SG-23; Compensation Investigator 3, SG-23; Finance Officer; SG-23; Managed Care Program Representative 3, SG-23; Program Research Specialist 3 (Human Services), SG-23;
Or B. after three years in any other position allocated to SG-23 or higher.
Order of Certification
The order of certification of this eligible list will be:
- "A" eligibles
- "All" eligibles
At the interview, you may be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or otherwise demonstrate your ability to meet the transportation needs of the job.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Logical reasoning - These questions will test for the ability to reason logically by interpreting statements in an accurate and reasonable manner; identifying the logical relationships between related statements; determining the conclusions that can correctly be drawn as a result of information presented; distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant information; and applying principles of logic to information provided. Sample test material for Logical reasoning(15KB) is available.
- Educating and interacting with the public - These questions test for knowledge of techniques used to interact effectively with individual citizens and/or community groups, to educate or inform them about topics of concern, to publicize or clarify agency programs or policies, to negotiate conflicts or resolve complaints, and to represent one's agency or program in a manner in keeping with good public relations practices. Questions may also cover interacting with others in cooperative efforts of public outreach or service. Sample test material for Educating and interacting with the public(14KB) is available.
- Administrative management of work and resources - These questions will test for the ability to provide administrative management, involving oversight of multiple work units, sections, or a multi-level organizational component, by planning, implementing, and evaluating work initiatives; researching and analyzing work demands, strategies, issues, and problems; organizing and scheduling work assignments; monitoring quality, quantity, and timeliness of work; designing and implementing action plans; identifying resources to meet demands and resolve work-related problems; utilizing resources (financial, human, technology, or other) for maximum efficiency and effectiveness; and aligning work plans with organizational mission and function. Sample test material for Administrative management of work and resources(76KB) is available.
- Administrative supervision of staff - These questions will test for the ability to provide administrative supervision to staff assigned to multiple work units, sections, or a multi-level organizational component, by influencing and developing constructive work relationships with staff, peers, supervisors, customers, and others; successfully communicating and interacting with others for the purpose of accomplishing work; evaluating personal strengths, limitations, and interests against work demands; developing and empowering others to achieve a high level of work performance; providing guidance and training on work-related topics; promoting teamwork; building coalitions; managing conflict; acknowledging and rewarding good work; and modeling professional and ethical behavior. Sample test material for Administrative supervision of staff(56KB) is available.
- Managing written communications - These questions will test for the ability to compose and edit a wide range of important documents and to manage the written work of staff. Composed written communications should be logically organized, clear, concise, accurate, use appropriate tone for the intended audience, and reach valid conclusions. Assignment, review, and editing of staff written communications and staff guidance and training activities should reflect high levels of quality and productivity in written work. Sample test material for Managing written communications(17KB) is available.
- Knowledge of NYS Workers' Compensation Law and related laws, rules and regulations - These questions will test for knowledge of the NYS Workers' Compensation Law, Disability Benefits Law, Volunteer Firefighters' Benefit Law, and Volunteer Ambulance Workers' Benefit Law, as well as related rules and regulations, in effect as of July 1, 2009, related to the areas of claims, appeals, compliance, health management, no insurance, disability benefits, licensing, and self-insurance. Sample test material for Knowledge of NYS Workers' Compensation Law and related laws, rules and regulations(15KB) is available.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Test Guide & Sample Test Material
A General Guide to Written Tests(86KB) is available. Sample Test Material for the subject areas described above is also available. You may request a copy of the test guide and sample test material by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling the Exams Information Desk at the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-6216 or outside of the Albany area toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Workers' Compensation Program Manager 3, you would be responsible for the functions performed by staff in a district office in direct support of the mandates of the Workers' Compensation Benefit, Disability Benefit, Volunteer Firefighters' Benefit, Volunteer Ambulance Workers' Benefit, and related rules and regulations. You would manage the daily operation of the district office; supervise professional and support staff; assign, direct, and coordinate work; communicate administrative, procedural, or policy changes; set goals and objectives; monitor production and quality; deal with constituents, resolve problems and complaints, and complete special assignments. As a Workers' Compensation Program Manager 3 in the Albany office, you would be responsible for the planning, development, implementation, direction, and evaluation of a specific program under the jurisdiction of the Workers' Compensation Board.
How To Apply
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
In addition, it is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to enjoy equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their applications. Further information is available from the Special Arrangements Unit of the Department of Civil Service at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2] in the Albany area, toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2], or via TDD (telecommunications device for the deaf) at 518-457-8480.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1].
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
With the exception of written tests announced by New York City, if you have applied to take a written test announced by a local jurisdiction (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1], no later than two weeks before the test date, to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center.
Eligibility for Examination
To be eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.