New York State has approximately
positions* in this title statewide. You may view a breakdown of positions by county.
This position exists in Nathan Kline Institute.
View links to all New York State agencies including agencies that have this title. For more information, New York State employees can contact the Career Mobility Office at (518) 485-6199 or (800) 553-1322. If you are not a current New York State employee, you can use the Department of Civil Service Web site to explore possible employment opportunities.
*The number of positions is approximate and represents the number of positions established (both filled and vacant); it
is not an indication or reference to position type or duration, or intent to be filled. If you are viewing a trainee title,
please note this number reflects the number of positions established at the journey level. Agencies may fill at the trainee level(s)
or at the journey level based on employee qualifications. GOT-IT does not provide information on any job postings or job availability.
For information on current job postings, please visit State Jobs NY. You may also visit specific
New York State Agency websites for information about an agency and its job opportunities.
A listing of titles that are most commonly used as steps for upward mobility for this title series. The salary schedule for this career ladder is also available.
Pathologist 2 Aquatic
Pathologist 2 Wildlife
Pathologist 2 Research
PATHOLOGIST 3 directs the work of an approved hospital laboratory;
- Supervises and directs all work in the fields of hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, serology, pathology, parasitology, and other related areas;
- Prepares the necessary and appropriate reports;
- Makes special investigations and prepares reports for the New York State Department of Health;
- In the State Health Laboratories, provides reference and consultation services in all phases of anatomic pathology;
- Conducts both clinical and experimental research in anatomic pathology with particular reference to pathogenesis and diagnosis of disease;
- Conducts continuing post graduate training courses and seminars for pathologists;
- Provides services in pathology to other state agencies and to health officers and physicians in areas not served by pathologists or permit laboratories;
- Participates in collaborative research projects with other units of the Department;
- Prepares narrative and statistical reports;
- publishes results of findings.
View the classification standard for this title, on the Classification and Compensation webpage.
The NYS Title and Salary Plan provides additional information regarding other titles. If there is a classification standard available there will be a link under the column labeled STD. NO. If no link is available there is no classification standard available at this time for that title.
Please note: qualifications for this position may be subject to change. If substitutions for education and/or experience are allowed, this information would be available on the announcement.
You must take and pass a Civil Service examination in order to be considered for this position.
License to practice medicine in New York State, possession of a valid certificate in pathology from the American Board of Pathology or its equivalent, and one year of post-certification experience in pathology in a capacity equal to Pathologist 2.
For informational purposes only, click on the examination number(s) listed below to see the current or previous examination(s) that are used to fill this title.
When this examination is scheduled to be held, the announcement can be found on the Department of Civil Service, Examination Announcements web page. If you do not see an examination currently scheduled please check back on a monthly basis or sign up for announcement notification by email so that you will automatically be notified when new examinations are being offered.
Career mobility is not just limited to the titles in the Career Ladder, above. Additional movement may be achieved through other examinations, additional education and/or work experience or transfer opportunities. For additional information or clarification of transfer determinations, current State employees should contact the Career Mobility Office. Visit ELMS Online to view established open-competitive, promotion, and transition eligible lists. If you are not a current New York State employee, see Employment Opportunities with New York State and find out how to become a New York State employee.