Welcome to CMO

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


What is an eligible list and how is it used?
What is the “rule of three”?

After an examination has been held, candidates who have passed are placed on an eligible list in descending score order. Candidates are selected off of the eligible list using the rule of three. The rule of three means that agencies count down the first three people on the list AND these three people, plus anyone else at the third person’s score are the eligibles they can consider to fill a position.

What eligible lists am I on?
View New York State Eligible Lists and related information.


As a person seeking New York State employment, what examinations can I take?
You may apply for any examination that you meet the minimum qualifications. You can see upcoming announcements for examinations that are Open to All Qualified Individuals on the internet. This site is updated frequently as new announcements are added. Therefore, you may want to sign up for "E-mail notification” to be automatically notified when new examination announcements are issued.

As a New York State employee, what examinations can I take?
As a New York State employee you may take any and all examinations that you meet the minimum qualifications. State employees may be able to take Promotional Examinations which are usually based upon your current title and/or a title that you held in the past You may also take Open to All Qualified Individuals examinations which are usually based upon your educational background or previous work experience. This type of an examination is a good choice for the employee who has just acquired a degree.

Can New York State employees take Open Competitive Examinations?
Should New York State employees take Open Competitive Examinations?
Yes! Passing an open competitive examination may afford a State employee the opportunity to use this passing score for a Section 70.4 transfer provided you meet the requirements for transfer.

How do I study for these examinations?
Whether you are a New York State employee or not, please see the pamphlet called Civil Service Examinations, How to Take a Written Test to learn more about the entire examination process including: why examinations are held, how to read the announcement, how to fill out the application, what to expect on test day, etc.

Where can I get study materials or test guides for examinations?
Study materials or test guides are not provided for every examination. If a test guide is provided for an examination, information about the guide will appear on the examination announcement. Test Guides are designed to familiarize candidates with the format of the test. Candidates should focus their examination preparation upon the information given in the examination announcement in the section called Subject of the Examination, which lists the areas that will be tested for on the examination.

CSEA represented employees can find information through the NYSCSEA Partnership.

PEF represented employees can find additional information PEF’S Professional Development page.

For additional training resources, please check OER.


I am not an employee of the State of New York but I am seeking to become a New York State employee. How do I find out about job vacancies?
Finding out about job opportunities with the State of New York has never been easier! You can access current and anticipated vacancies, future opportunities, continuous opportunities and much more on our Opportunities in State Government page. Here you will also find highlighted opportunities based on your education and experience.

I am a current New York State employee, how do I find out about job vacancies?
Many State agencies post their vacancy announcements on the Office of Employee Relations (OER) website or internally on their own websites and/or bulletin boards. You may link to a specific agency's website from the New York State Agency listing.
More information regarding Opportunities in State Government is available on the Department of Civil Service web site.


Whom do I talk to if I have a question about my salary?
Determining an employee’s salary is a complex matter, which is handled by the Office of State Comptroller through your agency Personnel or Finance Office. Salary determination is further complicated by the different pay scales for the various negotiating units. Therefore, please contact your Personnel or Human Resources Office for more information.


What are transfers?
A transfer is the movement of a permanent competitive class employee from a position in one title to a position in a different title or from a position in one agency to a position in another agency. Both positions must be within the competitive class. Transfers occur with the consent of the employee after nomination by the appointing agency and the approval of the Department of Civil Service. Approval by the agency from which the employee is transferring is not required in order for the transfer to occur.

What is a 70.1 transfer?
Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law allows transfer without further examination from one title to another when a sufficient degree of similarity exists between the minimum qualifications, tests and/or duties of the specific titles involved. The appropriateness of transfer is decided on a title-by-title basis at the request of personnel offices of state agencies. This section of the law also allows employees to transfer to another agency in the same title.

What is a 52.6 transfer?
Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law allows transfer between administrative titles at the same or similar salary grade. Administrative titles are those involving law, personnel, budgeting, methods and procedures, management, records analysis or administrative research.

What is a 70.4 transfer?
Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law allows transfer to a title which is not similar, but where the employee meets the qualifications for the title. Usually the employee must pass an examination open to the public for the title before transfer can be approved.

What are the requirements for transfer?
Generally employees must have had at least one year of permanent service in their current title or at their current salary grade, and the transfer can be to the same or any lower salary grade, but cannot be to a title more than two salary grades (or one M grade) higher than their current title.

Can I transfer while I’m on probation?
Employees who are currently serving probation are eligible to transfer.

As a New York State Employee can I transfer only once in my career?
Only employees in permanent competitive class titles can transfer, but NO, they are not limited to only one transfer in their State career. Transfers are limited to two salary grades (or one M grade) above the employee’s current salary grade. Once a two salary grade (or one M grade) transfer occurs, the employee must then obtain an intervening eligible list appointment. Generally, after serving one year in that new title, the employee would then be eligible to transfer up another two salary grades.

How do I know what titles I can transfer to?
Go to "Glossary of Titles Inquiry Tool” (GOT-IT).
Select "Title Search”.
Type in the title you wish to research and click the "search" button.
Click the title you wish to view.
Scroll to the bottom of the page to the section titled "Career Mobility" and click on "Transfer Opportunities".

Please keep in mind that even though the titles listed are approved titles for transfer, you still need to meet the requirements for transfer.


Are there any programs for people with disabilities?
Yes, there is the 55-b and the 55-c program.

What is the 55-b program?
What is the 55-c program?

These are the Workers with Disabilities Programs which were created under the Governor's Programs to Hire Persons (55-b) or Veterans (55-c) with Disabilities. These programs are coordinated efforts to place individuals with disabilities in entry-level State jobs. No initial written or oral examinations are required for appointment. You must however, submit a formal application and recent medical documentation. You may be required to undergo a physical examination by an EHS physician.